Meiosis StagesProphase I:
In prophase I of meiosis, the following events occur:
- Chromosomes condense and attach to the nuclear envelope.
- Synapsis occurs (a pair of homologous chromosomes lines up closely together) and a tetrad is formed. Each tetrad is composed of four chromatids.
- Crossing over may occur.
- Chromosomes thicken and detach from the nuclear envelope.
- Similar to mitosis, the centrioles migrate away from one another and both the nuclear envelope and nucleoli break down.
- Likewise, the chromosomes begin their migration to the metaphase plate.
Next > Phases of Meiosis > Metaphase I
Meiosis Study Guide
- Overview of Meiosis
- Stages of Meiosis
- Meiosis Animation
- Meiosis Diagrams
- Glossary of Terms
- Meiosis Quiz