How to Make LB For Bacterial Culturing
From your Biology Guide
Procedure on how to make Luria Broth.
- In a 1 liter flask place 2.5 grams of yeast extract, 5 grams Bacto-Tryptone, 5 grams sodium chloride and 7.5 grams of agar.
- Add distilled water to the mixture until the volume is about 500 milliliters.
- Cover the top of the flask with foil and autoclave the solution for 20 minutes at 121 degrees Celsius (250 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the flask from the autoclave and let cool until the bottom of the flask is warm to the touch.
- Pour the solution into a petri dish until about 1/3 full.
- Loosely replace the lid on the dish and let cool until condensation stops.
- If you don't have access to an autoclave you can use a pressure cooker. Sterilize the mixture at 15 pounds pressure for 20 minutes at 121 degrees Celsius.
More How To's from your Guide to Biology